top of page

Teacher Assessed Grades 2021

The main summer 2021 GCSE exams have been cancelled and teacher assessed grades have been put in place so people can be awarded their GCSE grade. The GCSE grades are vital for many things such as A levels, Universities and employment in English and maths. Teacher assessed grades have been put in place by the government for people in schools and colleges. If you are an adult learner or an external candidate that isn’t connected with a centre, there is uncertainty on how you will obtain a GCSE grade. As well, if you are homeschooled or you aren’t in mainstream education, there is uncertainty too. The following post should guide you through teacher assessed grades and alternative qualifications.

Teacher assessed grades for those in schools and colleges

The mock exams and ongoing work is helping the process for the teacher assessed grades, therefore you should try your best. You can also help improve your teacher assessed grade by external controlled assessments that are like mock exams. MME is a service that offers the controlled assessments for GCSE maths exams which will be submitted to your college or school.

GCSE Exams and GCSE resits

The GCSE resit exams in November 2021 are still going ahead. The iGCSE qualifications are also going ahead and you can book as an external candidate with MME. You can call MME on 020 3633 5145 to get more information about iGCSE’s and other options or you can look at the GCSE maths retake page for information about the GCSE resits.

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates

If you are outside of full time education, homeschooled or an adult learner, you are probably wondering how to get a teacher assessed grade. GCSE examiners and MME are working together to help external candidates obtain a GCSE grade by the candidates taking a series of assessments. For the GCSE maths controlled assessment, you can book already

Alternatives to GCSE exams and teacher assessed grades

There are GCSE alternative qualifications that you can obtain. When you are applying to Universities and certain jobs, you might have seen the phrase that is ‘Give your GCSE or GCSE equivalent qualifications‘. GCSE equivalent qualifications are normally referred to as functional skills. Majority of employers and Universities accept the functional skills qualification due to it being a GCSE equivalent qualification at Level 2. The links that are provided below will direct you to functional skills pages for more information:

Nurses and Trainee Teachers

GCSE equivalency test results are accepted by many providers and this is an option if you are a prospective trainee teacher or nursing. However, before you book the equivalency test you want to check with the course provider or employer that this qualification is accepted. Prospective trainee teachers are the most common to take this test since SCITT’s and majority of training providers prefer it over functional skills.


The Harrogate Tutors blog has been set up to keep parents, students and tutors informed about changes and updates to our website and service. 

For information on our tutoring services in the Harrogate area

bottom of page